The York School

York School - 1931 to 1939

1931 to 1932 Dorothy Grouse - primary grades
Lola B. Blackburn - principal
1932 to 1934 Dorothy Grouse - primary grades
C. C. Grouse - principal
(Both living in Santa Rosa, California as of last year.)
1934 to 1939 Ada Barber - primary grades Floyd R. Barber - principal

In 1938, the School Board authorized the building of a modern two room school with restrooms, gymnasium and a full basement with a coal furnace. A well was drilled for the first time. Before this, water was piped from the farm just west of the school. An additional acre of ground was purchased from Emil Lindburg and the Teacherage was modernized. Total cost of this project was $50,782 with 45% of the cost being paid by the federal government under the PWA program.

The 1938-39 school year was held in the York Grange Hall with the primary grades separated from the upper grades by a drape across the center of the hall. The two big coal burning stoves were transferred from the old schoolhouse to the grange hall. One student remembers pulling nails from the old boards with the other boys. They all thought they were really helping.

The boundary of the district on the south, Cotton Road, was extended by a half section by petition of the parents. There were about 16 children, mostly living on Park Road, who wanted to go to York School instead of Stanton School.

This was during the Depression, but none of the people expressed any hardships in their questionnaires. One student remembers that the School Board brought cedar wood from the lavas to burn in the stoves to save coal money. Everyone was careful and saving. They took good care of their milk cows and chickens, raised gardens and canned. Very few had any type of refrigeration.

Remembrances include Mrs. Beulah Breiter playing the piano for the Christmas programs, Softball and football games against Stanton, Riverdale and Taylor, track and field events, jumping the horses over poles, and the end-of-year picnic at the Jordin farm.

One student remembers when all of the boys in school had to stay an extra half hour after school for a week. They had been playing in Mr. Oertle's straw stack and dug tunnels all through it. It was very dangerous because the boys could have been smothered if the straw collapsed.

Before the Barbers started teaching, each child had his own drinking cup at the school. Mr. Barber introduced paper cups and towels and nearly went broke because the students loved using them.

Mr. and Mrs. Barber did so many extra things for the children. He had a boy scout troop, she taught a 4-H club. He took the 8th grade class of 9 children to the Blackfoot Fair in September of 1938. In 1939, the eighth grade class went to Heise and Kelly's Canyon for the day. One day they took the entire school to the Jordin farm across from the railroad tracks to watch the Union Pacific Streamliner go by.

Even though cars and buses were in use, the students still walked or rode horses or bikes to school. In the winter, some of the fathers would use horses and sleighs and pick up everyone en route to school.


The York School

A History of the York School
1899 TO 1907
The beginning
1899 to 1907
1907 to 1915
A new County
1915 to 1923
World War I
1923 to 1931
Grange organized
1931 to 1939
A new building
1939 to 1947
World War II
1947 to 1955
Districts consolidated
1955 to 1963
Hot lunches and a PTO
1963 to 1970
The last years of "regular school"
In Closing
Discussion and Credits